Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I have Parkinson's

SHARING PARKINSON'S

Although this is not the reason for creating this blog, it may be helpful to those with Parkinson's and their families.  I was diagnosed a year ago (55 years old) but I had already had it for some years before.  I blamed many signs on other health issues.  I did not want it to be Parkinson's. I watched as my Dad declined from a strong Marine of 30 years to a man bent and fragile, needing help with daily functions but wishing he didn't need help, and overly focused on what he was doing or wanted to talk about, realizing but unable to control it.  But he was always loving, unselfish and he never stopped battling it.  I also watched as my Mom was affected as his caretaker but she never regretted it or wanted it any other way.  I absolutely hate that I will be putting my beloved husband of 37 years through my Parkinson's progressive disorder with me but I know he feels like my Mom--no regrets or having it any other way, although I exhaust his patience at timesBut it is what it is.  I have accepted it, no why me or not fair, and so has my husband.  I will do my best to continue forward strongly like my Dad, enjoying each moment of every day.  We all have problems, right?
I am fortunate and unfortunate to have my dear cousin, on my Dad's side, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's when she was in her 40's.  I wouldn't be doing this well without her.  Having PD (which is incorrect because it is not a disease but I'll use to reduce my typing for this) is totally different from being an observer or caretaker.  No one but another PD person can fully understand why we do what we do and how hard it is noticing these changes in ourselves but not being able to control them.  It can be both frustrating and depressing.  Our physical challenges are not easy either--I am in the earlier stage, but I have to remind myself that fatigue and over stimulation (too many voices, sounds and so on) and stress really beats me up.  I have to learn to set boundaries to protect myself from others when needed to prevent a really bad day, and I am learning, albeit slowly.

Sending support and a hug, Cherie

P.S.  That is 3 of us from 1 side of family.  It is being debated whether or not it can be genetic.
  NEW BLOG JUST FOR PARKINSON'S SUPPORT:
Parkinson's Cousins Share
Site is to the right under Links


1 comment:

  1. Cherry Hilton this is wonderful to read about your gardening and canning and sharing your life. I say this because no matter what happens to us in life we have to make the best of each day. You are a great woman and a great writer I always told you that believe in your dreams. I have been proud to be your friend and enjoyed playing music with you. So since you cannot play the guitar write some music on your blog. Write about your chickens and everything you know just enjoy what you write. I will enjoy reading your blog I will try everyday to learn something new. Who knows I could use it for my own garden lol 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜Hope to see you soon love ya keep smiling😜

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share.