Wednesday, September 7, 2016

An Egg Per Hen


I was SO excited yesterday when ALL of my 6 girls layed an egg for the first time!  1/2 dozen eggs in a day for the beginner that I am.  Not bad, if you ask me.  Actually, raising my chicks to hens has been so much fun and I've learned so much by spending time with them twice a day.  They love to be misted with a spray bottle in the heat of the day, fluffing and cleaning their feathers (which helps keep them free of lice, mites,etc. and cools them down during hot temperatures).  The hens come running to me when they see me with my spray bottle!  About  6 p.m. is their snack time.  My girls favorites are watermelon rinds and MY leftover corn cobs.  They love most herbs (Not basil though--instead I use this to keep insects away from the nest boxes, from the coop, from the run).  The hens went  nuts when I gave them fresh sweet bay leaves (they grow wild all around here).  They also have laying feed available always and get special grains each evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share.